If you have been designated as an Authorized Representative for a Form I-9 please review the instructions below and tips on how to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9.
If you have received an email from Hello Sign (our digital signing platform partner), then it means that someone designated you as an Authorized Representative on their Form I-9.
What is a Form I-9:
All U.S. employers must ensure proper completion of Form I-9 for each individual they hire for employment in the United States.
In order for someone to complete W2 Onboarding, they must complete a Form I-9. Form I-9 is used for verifying the identity and employment authorization of individuals hired for employment in the United States.
What Do I Have To Do?
- As an authorized representative you will be sent an email linked to a worker's Form I-9 via Hello Sign.
- Open the email, click the link, carefully review and sign Section 2 of the Form I-9.
a. You will review the worker's Identification and Employment Eligibility documents to ensure they match the workers Form I-9 information and that it is correct. Please see the guide below.
b. You will then need to sign Section 2 of the Form I-9 only after reviewing the original documents presented by the employee and ensuring the recorded information in Section 2 of the I-9 is correct.
3. This will all be done digitally but you must review the worker's documents in person with you. You must inspect the actual documents by hand.
By reviewing and signing Section 2 of Form I-9 you are responsible for the following:
1. Review the employee’s last name, first name, middle initial and ensure the correct citizenship/immigration number is in the “Employee Info from Section 1” area at the top of Section 2. These must Match.
2. Make sure the Citizen/Immigration Status in Section 2 matches what they selected in Section 1
3. Ensure that any document the worker presents is original and on the Lists of Acceptable Documents
4. Physically examine each document to determine if it reasonably appears to be genuine and is relate to the employee presenting it.
- If you determine the document does not reasonably appear to be genuine or related to the employee, do not sign Section 2.
5. Review the document title, issuing authority, number(s) and expiration date (if any) from the original document(s) your employee presented. Make sure they match the actual document against what is on the document in Hello Sign.
6. Review your information in Section 2 as the Authorized Representative (the first and last name)
7. Sign and date section 2 in Hello Sign once you verify everything is correct
8. Complete/Finish the document in Hello Sign